Tuesday 12 June 2012

A world of wonder


My little sister went to see Julia Donaldson performing a few of her books with her husband at Leicester University. I was rather jealous that I couldn't go with her; alas they were the days when I had a job to prevent such things.  The idea of performing a book is wonderful yet so rarely actualised. Apparently Mr. Donaldson sang the Gruffalo song and lots of children came up on stage to help tell the story.

I remember my first experience of a true story teller. I was on holiday at Kelling Heath Camp-site in Norfolk and it must have been Halloween, though why we were camping in October I've no idea. It was a sodden night and dark as I can remember a sky ever being.

I don’t know how old I was but I remember disappointment at the story telling being moved inside because of the rain. My disappointment soon faded when I saw the enchanted space that had been created from a corner of the pub. The fire was lit along with thick half melted candles. Material hung carelessly enfolding the story teller and her audience in a magical place. I no longer remember the stories but I do remember the feel of the objects she passed round and the soft slow voice that lulled us so easily into a different world.

I’ve yet to find anyone who has recaptured that first magic of storytelling. I’d like to try it myself one day but the most I can muster is to read to a bunch of toddlers in a Library. Granted when just the nightlight is on and I read aloud to my little sister I sometimes feel that wonder but that’s the story not the telling.

Wishfully pursuing Waterstones yesterday I picked up a leaflet entitled: Open a world of wonder; sharing books they’ll love by Julia Donaldson. I smiled when I read it and also got a little bit sad that I’m no longer have the pleasure of reading every night to my little sister. She’s gone and grown up too fast. Still I do get the odd night.


Here’s a little extract:


People often ask me, “is it important to read to your child?” Actually, I dislike that word “important” because it implies that sharing books is a worthy duty whereas in fact it’s a huge pleasure. To my mind, there’s nothing like chuckling or gasping together over a good book...sometimes I think people get it the wrong way round: they think that the stories are a mere key to being able to read. They are far more than that – they are the whole point of it all!

Though for those who aren’t natural storytellers she gives a few tips:

·         Set aside a time when you know you won’t be rushed
·         Try using different voices for each character
·         Follow the story in the pictures-ask your child to explain what is happening
·         Encourage your child to interact, for example turning the pages or following the words with their finger
·         Encourage your child to chant along with familiar phrases
·         Relax and have fun

Besides the asking the child to explain what’s happening I agree with these entirely. It’s good to know that the Children’s Laureate is encouraging the love of reading and not its importance.  





No comments:

Post a Comment