Friday 15 June 2012

The Rights of the Reader




Most of what I’m going to say in my blog will be influenced by this charming fellow, Daniel Pennac in his book The Rights of the Reader.

 
I cannot recommend it highly enough; I picked up my edition at The British Library and almost finished it on the train ride home. After I read it once I then read it aloud to my Fiancée. It’s funny, poignant and nothing like anything I’ve ever read before.

Here’s an extract:
When it comes to reading, we grant ourselves all kinds of rights, starting with the ones we deny the young people we want to initiate into the world of books.

1.       The right not to read
2.       The right to skip
3.       The right not to finish a book
4.       The right to read it again
5.       The right to read anything
6.       The right to mistake a book for real life
7.       The right to read anywhere
8.      The right to dip in
9.       The right to read out loud
10.   The right to be quiet


Originally published in French in 1992 everything about it rings true of the British educational system today. I know as a child I was bored to tears having to read through every colour book before being able to move onto an equally tedious colour.  
Read anything anywhere and if possible always mistake a book for real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment