Thursday 7 June 2012

Read – and be curious...

...And if somebody says to you: 'Things are this way. You can`t change it' - don`t believe a word”  
- Cornelia Funke Ink Heart 


 Once in a while a book comes along that makes me want to nestle between the pages and never leave. Ink Heart is one of these books, it is kept safely at the back of my shelf waiting to be read as soon as the real world starts to get me down. It has the power to rekindle that first love of reading when I hid under the sheets with a torch hoping my mum wouldn't come in and tell me to get to sleep. 


I am now 23 and still have difficulty stopping reading at night, I still feel that same rebellious streak at staying up when the house is sleeping and falling deeper into the printed words.  The characters from books easily creep into my head and the monsters still lurk behind rustling curtains at night time. 


It is a shame, and by no means a new phenomenon, that the joyous rebellion of reading is being extinguished for children through school and over eager parents. I've been guilty of this myself. After my little sister finishing reading The Tyger, or as she calls it Tiger Tiger, I pounced on her with very well meaning questions: What do you think he is trying to say? Do you know what Immortal means? Do you like the Rhyming? 

She looked at me and said in no uncertain terms that she did not want to talk about it because it would ruin the way it sounded in her mind. 

That shut me up. 

I will dedicate this blog to the love of reading, the quiet space were we are transported to different worlds and believe in magic. 


  



No comments:

Post a Comment