Sunday 12 August 2012

The unfortunate incident of the bicycle and the swamp


Well I've been out of commission for a little while due to the aforementioned incident of the bike and the swamp. A message to all girls out there: do not ride bikes made for boys. A night in hospital and copious amounts of pain killers has taught me why ladies bikes have that little slope. 

I am well on the mend now and being near comatose state for the past week has given me lots of time to catch up on reading.

Recovering from general anaesthetic and reading this book:


Is interesting to say the least, It’s a fantastic book about two rebellious Fairies who have been chased out of Scotland and find themselves in New York city. I love it. it seems a little like Terry Pratchett’s Wee Free Men but with a lot more swearing and phone sex lines. I laughed out loud regularly, and I’m fairly certain it wasn’t the laughing gas. It’s a beautifully crass mixture of British folk lore and modern life; not so much melding as colliding.  

On another note, I believe hospital wards would be vastly improved by a few books. My fiancé had the sense to bring a book for me but to be honest it’s not really at the top of most people’s minds when their heading to the emergency wards. I know that many library books are withdrawn every week, I wonder if they could be sent to the local hospitals? Then again I’m probably being naive in wanting to waste precious hospital space with books...

No comments:

Post a Comment